This Victorian redbrick building was erected at the same time as the Library and the Town Hall when Handsworth still belonged to Staffordshire. They were all built in 1878 using the same brickworks supplier. It is a fine example of Victorian architecture. Unusually it is not in a prominent location on the high street but set amongst a residential area of similar Victorian built housing. It has a canteen to the rear and also a constable’s house.
The Police Station is distinguished by its grandiose stonework entrance with carved lettering ‘POLICE COURTS.’ It was used as a court room until 1911 when Handsworth elected to leave Staffordshire and join Birmingham. It has never had accommodation for horses or dogs but they did take in stray dogs that were kept in the cells until they were collected by the Home for Lost and Stray Dogs.
Over the years the building has had many internal alterations to make way for extra offices to accommodate detectives and the changing needs of the force.
The building is still in use as a base mainly for the local neighbourhood officers which in itself is a tribute to Superintendent David Webb of this station, who was one of the first officers in the country to promote Community Policing.
Police Community Support Officer, Rob Capella is a local person who grew up in Hamstead village and still lives locally. He has fond memories of the area. He particularly enjoyed growing up with a diverse community and being exposed to their cultures.